HD-DVD or Blu-ray?
Posted on: 01/16/2007 02:09 PM

I've been following the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war closely over the last several months, all-the-while remembering back to the VHS/Betamax war that took place years ago (Yes, I am that old!) and shaking my head. Once again, two rival formats are duking it out for our hard-earned cash, and only time will tell which will emerge victorious.

According to this article, HD-DVD has opened-up a decent lead in the standalone player sales, accounting for almost 83% of the units sold. The thing is, only 21% of all units sold have been standalone units. The other 79% are tied to game consoles, either as an add-on to an Xbox 360 (HD-DVD), or built-in to a PS3 (Blu-ray).

Of the 695,000 next-gen players (both standalone and "bundled"), about 61% of them are Blu-ray. Considering the fact that PS3 purchasers are getting Blu-ray if they like it or not (How many of them are actually using it as a BRD player? Especially considering the PS3's scaling issues.), I would consider HD-DVD's 49% market share quite competitive.

What do you think? Have you made a purchase? What did you choose? I've created a poll (scroll down, and look to the right side of the page) for you to let us all know your thoughts. Please leave any additional comments there as well.




Printed from 2CPU.com (http://www.2cpu.com/contentteller.php?ct=news&action=story&page=hd_dvd_or_blu_ray.html)